Starting on 4th July, every Monday until 26th December, I’ll be including a post called ‘My #GAPP_Week’.
I’ll be writing very personal posts about my week, sharing my feelings and experiences of Gratitude, Achievement, Pride in helping others, and Plans for the week ahead.
1. The first letter G refers to Gratitude. The benefits of gratitude have been widely discussed by people who are much more qualified than me on this topic. If you’re not convinced, you can type ‘the benefits of gratitude’ and you’ll find plenty of pages. One of my favourite is the great Deepak Chopra: A two and a half-minute explanation. ‘We are all made of stardust’. I love it. If you want to read more about his theories here are his books. Here’s his amazon author page
The first question I’m going to answer is: What am I GRATEFUL for?
Things that made me smile, laugh, feel good. It could be a phone call from a friend, a hug from my son/grandson, a beautiful sunset….
2. The second letter A stands for Achievement. Each week I need to feel I’ve progressed at least a little, because I’m nearer to accomplishing my goals. I need to identify the steps I’ve taken and the things I’m proud of having achieved. I need to feel I’m moving on, progressing, getting better. I need to believe in myself and encourage myself by pointing out my achievements.
Let’s think about what we’ve ACHIEVED? Things that you’ve done for yourself that you’re happy about. Perhaps you wrote 1,000 words of your novel, learnt something new, finished reading a book, ran a mile!
3. The third letter P stands for Pride in doing things for others. Paying it Forward or Random Acts of Kindness.
Our interaction with world shouldn’t be selfish. We need to help others creating a pay it forward chain. The third pillar is Pride in helping others. What are you PROUD of? Things you’ve done for others. Perhaps you’ve listened to a friend who needed to chat?, written a review for an indie author’s book you enjoyed, helped a student with their homework, held someone’s hand when they were ill, helped someone who was lost or couldn’t speak your language very well?
Make sure you do random things for people who are not necessarily your family and friends, but of course kindness to them is also included!
We can all make the world a better place if we each try. The ripple effect starts with one person.
The fourth letter, P, stands for Planning ahead in small steps. Instead of ‘Find a Job’, which is a long-term goal, think of smaller, but vital things you can do to get there such as, update my CV, or search online for places to send my CV, or look for a training course to do while I find a new job…
What are your PLANS for next week? What would you like to achieve for yourself and do for others. Thinking about this can help you write next weeks’ Achieved and Proud. Every large goal is achieved by a series of smaller steps. Think of doable, realistic steps towards your goals.
How is this going to become a reality? We need something tangible. Something we can look back on and think about at a later date, so we need to write it down.
Well, let’s face it, Monday isn’t the most popular day of the week! It’s a good day to get some good vibrations going. Reminding ourselves of the positive things we’ve done the previous week and planning ahead for the following week could help increase our motivation. It might even be a wise idea to plan or write it on Sunday evening and post on Monday…
I think it will help me be happy and focus on what I want and do what I need to do in order to be a better and happier person. It’s a big aim, but I’ll be taking it in small steps.
To sum up. I want us (you and me) to concentrate on four simple, but vital aspects of our lives every week to help us on our way to a better and happier life.
Do you want to join in?
RULES (short version, longer explanation above):
Few rules. Life has enough of them!
1- Tell us about your GAPP_Week.
- What are you GRATEFUL for? Beautiful yet simple things which make life wonderful.
- What have you ACHIEVED? Things that you’ve done for yourself .
- What are you PROUD of? Things you’ve done for others.
- What are your PLANS for next week? Doable and simple, realistic steps towards your goals.
2- Pingback to Lucy’s GAPP_Week weekly post on my blog.
3- Add #GAPP_Week to your post title.
If you like, you can:
- Write four sentences, 400 words, or 4,000 words!
- Add pictures.
- Join in every week, or whenever you like.
- Write your post on Monday, or any other day of the week.
- Check out other posts.
- Add the logo to your post or to your page (when it’s available. I’m working on that!)
- Retweet as much as you like!
Are you joining in?