I almost always review the books I read wherever I’ve downloaded them, usually that’s Audible, Amazon or Scribd, but I don’t always post all my reviews on my blog, and as I have a backlog of audiobooks to review, I’ve decided to post an audiobook review every day during this years’ April AtoZBloggingChallenge.
According to Audible, I’m an expert listener because I’ve read and reviewed 120 audiobooks, and spent one month, twelve days and ten hours listening to audiobooks over the last three years. That’s a lot of books and a long time listening, so now I’m going to tell you why I love reading audiobooks and give you 34 reasons why should try them, too!
1. The first reason is that it makes housework appealing. Not many people enjoy doing housework, but sooner or later, one way or another, it needs to be done. Imagine looking forward to ironing, clearing cupboards and wardrobes, washing up, cooking, doing the laundry!
Listening to audiobooks while I’m doing daily chores, actually makes me look forward to the alone time they provide. Imagine reading a heartbreaking romance with a happy ending while you iron, or an action-packed crime thriller while loading the dishwasher and clearing up your kitchen! Priceless moments….
2. The second reason is that audiobooks help me lose weight and keep fit. I love my exercise bike, because I listen to my favourite novels, and it helps me shed those extra pounds, or allows me that occasional extra glass of wine, or piece of cake, because I know I’ll work it off tomorrow.
3. My third reason is that audiobooks make those long journeys more interesting. I can listen in the car, bus, train or plane when I travel or on my daily commute to work. You could read at least a book a week on your commute to work! Wouldn’t that make a book lover happy?
4. You can listen when you’re too tired to read your paperback or screen. Sometimes your eyesight is tired, and although you’d love to read, you don’t feel up to another screen, or you’re just too tired to sit up straight, hold your book and read, so you can lie down and listen to your audiobook. Isn’t that a treat? You can read alternate reading and listening the same book, you’ll always be on the right page!
5. Number five is that the characters and the story come to life, as if you’re watching a film. Audiobook readers are professional. They know how to give the characters the perfect voices so that you can almost see them. It’s another completely new dimension to reading. Although audiobook readers are experts who can do several different voices, I especially love books with different narrators for each character.
6. You can listen on any electronic device, anywhere, anytime. You can download the books you’ve bought onto your device, so that you can read offline. It’s much lighter than carrying several books, and you don’t need a Tablet, you can listen on your mobile.
You can listen when you’re sunbathing, relaxing in the garden, going for a walk, or sitting comfortably anywhere in the world!
7. You can control every aspect of the listening experience. You can control speed, volume, go backwards, forwards, listen to and read the same book alternately, relisten…
8. You can listen to an enormous selection of books, classic novels, contemporary, new releases, all languages. The next book you want to read is probably available as an audiobook, check it out!
Do you need any more reasons to read audiobooks?
Just in case you do, during the month of April, I’m going to give you 26 more reasons, one for each great audiobook I’ve listened to! So there you have my 34 reasons to read audiobooks!
But don’t take my word for it, visit audible and/or Scribd listen to samples, it’s a whole new experience for readers.
What’s your experience as an audiobook reader?
Are you joining in the AtoZ Challenge this year?
If so, what’s your theme?